You know about peppermint bark, but how about bacon bark? Try it, your sweet tooth will thank you! And so will your family!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 package dark chocolate chips
- 1 package white chocolate chips
- 1 package Wellshire Bacon Bits
Make the Salted Caramel
- In a very clean saucepan, combine sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil in a covered pot. Remove the lid and keep the sugar mixture boiling. Swirl the pot so it doesn't stick to anything. Do this for 4-5 minutes, or until a candy thermometer (if you're using one), reads 350°F and the sugar mixture is an amber color.
- Remove the pot from heat. Carefully add the heavy cream. The mixture will start to bubble up, that's normal.
- Return the pot to low heat, whisking the caramel constantly, until it's a smooth texture.
- remove from heat (again). Whisk in the vanilla and sea salt and let cool.
Make the Chocolate
- Line a baking pan with waxed paper. In a medium glass/ceramic bowl, mix half the oil and a package of dark chocolate chips. Microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds at a time, stirring well between each session in the microwave, until fully melted.
- Pour dark chocolate onto paper-lined baking pan and spread it to a relatively thin coat that covers most of the bottom of the pan. Freeze until set.
- Repeat the microwaving process with the package of white chocolate chips.
Make the Bark
- Remove pan from the freezer and spread the white chocolate over the dark chocolate, leaving some dark chocolate showing around the edges.
- Sprinkle bacon bits over the white chocolate, press into the white chocolate with a fresh sheet of waxed paper. Freeze until set.
- Remove pan from freezer. Drizzle salted caramel over the frozen layered chocolates. Return to freezer to allow chocolates and caramel to set.
- After everything is frozen, break up the bark into bite-sized chunks. Store in a wax-paper lined container. Keep out of the heat, the chocolate will melt quickly!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!